Sunday, November 05, 2006

Macaroni and Broccoli in Not-So-White Sauce

I call it not-so-white sauce because it's not made of Maida/Refined Flour. I made it with Whole Wheat Flour and an organic one at that :)

This is our weekend brunch. And once in a while I don't mind indulging in cheese and butter. Not that I have used a lot of it in this dish. I use far less than what is traditionally used in this type of dishes.


Broccoli, Beans, Chives and Onions from the veggie section. Skimmed Milk, Whole Wheat Flour and a small cube of butter for the sauce. Cheese, Chives and Sun-dried Tomatoes for the garnish.
I forgot to click the pic of the sauce before adding it to the dish :(


Before and After adding Cheese and microwaving for 2 mins.

Now, just by the look of it, one would think it would taste bland, since there are no flavourings added. But nope. I have not added flavourings on purpose, because I wanted the flavour and taste of broccoli to shine through. And it did! Also, I have added a lot of sun-dried tomatoes that would give a tang to the dish.

Recipe in a nutshell:
Saute the onions, beans and broccoli in a teaspoon of peanut oil. Then add the boiled macaroni and saute for five more minutes. On another pan, make the sauce by sauteing 3 tablespoons of wheat floor in a small cube of butter till the raw smell is gone. Now add skimmed milk gently while stirring and let it cook till you get batter like consistency. Add salt once done. Pour this sauce over the macaroni & veggies and transfer to a microwave safe bowl. Add chives, sun-dried tomatoes and cover with grated cheese. Microwave on high for 2 mins or till the cheese melts. DONE!

I have a confession to make. I don't know how to make white sauce without lumps :(. So I take the help of my mixie. After adding the milk, I transfer the entire thing into the mixie jar and blend it well. Then I transfer back to the pan and cook till it thickens.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!!! I really liked your recipe and would want to try it out but do you get sun dried tomatoes in Bangalore? Can you please tell me where exactly can I get in Bangalore

November 10, 2006 4:25 PM  
Blogger Tweety said...

Hi Anon. Thanks for visiting and liking the recipe. Although the sun dried tomatoes I used were from US, you can pretty much get them here in Namdhari Fresh store. They have branches in lot of places. Indranagar, Jayanagar, Koramangala and HSR Layout are the ones I know of.
Good luck making it...and do let me know how it turns out :)

November 10, 2006 11:23 PM  
Blogger Shella said...

You know what, adding refined flour to the white sauce gives me the guilt pangs....I love the idea of adding atta. It makes it so much more healtier & edible to me. Thanks a ton.

February 04, 2008 9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home