Thursday, November 02, 2006

Gajar halwa



This is one of my favourites that I picked up from Mom. Its not made with the regular orange color carrots. These are different type of carrots that come during Jan season. They are dark and a bit pinkish in color and taste is also slightly different from regular carrots. During the season, you can see carts filled with heaps of these carrots almost everywhere. I love that sight!
What makes this dish distinct and rich is the addition of roasted poppy seeds in the end.


Grated gajar, Ghee, Milk, Almonds, Cardamom powder, Sugar and Poppy seeds.

Saute the grated carrot in a little ghee till it softens. Add milk, sugar, slivered almonds and cook for some more time. Add some cardamom powder in the end. Once done, roast some poppy seeds in a separate pan and add to the halwa.

Next time I wanna try this out using Jaggery.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger phreakv6 said...

looks yum

November 04, 2006 10:27 PM  
Blogger sou said...

aha.. found your blog (finally). its so strange. .i was on the verge of starting a food blog myself! hmm.. like krish suggested lemme know if ur taking on more authors. it'll be fun.

i really badly want to learn how to bake bread (coz i'm a sucker for fresh bread) and i want to learn to make hummus. so pls lemme knwo if you know how to make either of these. (the tacos looks awesome.. will try making that next)

November 05, 2006 10:55 PM  
Blogger Tweety said...

Hey Sou...welcome to my blog :)
Hmm after a few trials at baking, I have concluded that I suck at it ... he he
Yes, I do make hummus. Will post it here sometime.
Good luck with your new blog, it'll be fun to share.

November 05, 2006 11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home