Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Few healthy varieties of rice

Aaah finally got to this blog to post something, thanks to Indira. I wanted to show her some of the other forms of rice we get here in Bangalore. While thinking where to post these pics, I remembered this poor little abandoned blog of mine. So, here goes.

I usually use the regular sona masuri rice, but the red rice packets in the supermarket always intrigued me. When I researched around a bit, I learnt that they are actually better than the white rice in terms of nutrition. Anything that comes with a tag of "good for health"... I jump up to get it. So I bought one. It was not a pleasant experience :(. The moment I started washing the rice, all the color went off and i got normal white rice. Anyways that was a bad store guy. I threw it back at him the next day.
Later I tried different varieties of red rice and loved them. One thing to admit is, it makes your food taste bland. So I always make some tangy /spicy curry along with this, like Vankaya Pulusu with some extra tanginess.

These are raw red rice varieties. Not the Kerala boiled / par boiled rice.


This one is a simple Red Rice
Unpolished Raw Red Rice. You can guess by the look of it. But this is quite nice to eat. Better than the one above.
This one is quite interesting. Its Organic Unpolished Rice. Its the best variety I've ever tasted. Don't mistake the look of it to be husky, it's actually soft and tasty after cooking. You wouldn't get any husk in your teeth. Plus, the best part is, it doesn't need any help from the curries like in the case of previous two varieties. It tastes great on its own and even enhances the taste of the curries. I just love it.
I get this one at 'Namdhari Fresh' store in Bangalore and nowhere else. It isn't that pricey. Comes for Rs.25/- a Kg. Almost as much as regular sona masoori.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Arul said...

I remember eating that 'Organic Unpolished Rice' for lunch, at your place. You had some white rice with some bhendi curry, and then this rice on the second serving. Apart from the awesome taste, I must say it was pretty filling too! Remember I almost ate that entire serving without the curry (thanks to its bad taste! LoL Just kidding!!)

Have you tried the rice these Chinese and Japanese people eat here? You can actually eat it without much of a curry or anything(and I like it too) It's a lil too sticky and makes life with the chopsticks easier.

Good post, keep going :)

November 02, 2006 9:21 AM  
Blogger Arul said...

Did u click those pics u've used in the blog???

November 02, 2006 9:24 AM  
Blogger Tweety said...

Yeahha! Why?

November 02, 2006 10:16 AM  
Blogger Indira said...

I am glad that you are able to get these different types of rice in Bangaloru, Tweety. Until I read Inji Pennu's post, I never knew the existence of this red rice. Sona masuri is what we always had in my home growing up.

Nice to see red rice in different stages of polish. Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing and also thanks for the mention. Do post regularly.

Best wishes,
Indira

November 02, 2006 2:20 PM  
Blogger Arul said...

thats cool!

I appreciate u took soo much efforts for the post!

November 02, 2006 3:11 PM  
Anonymous teena said...

Yaa...i too appreciate ur effort for this post which is very useful for health conscious folks.Even i do most of my grocery shopping at Namdhari Fresh in b'lore.I remember buying PRONATURE's unpolished rice at Namdhari.
It's brown in color.what's the difference between unpolished brown and red rice.Which one is ore healthy ??

August 15, 2009 6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home